Dalit Human Rights Defenders Network (DHRDNet) organised the reports release cum consultation in collaboration with the National Council of Women Leaders (NCWL), Tata Institute of Social Science, (TISS) Mumbai, and Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) at K.K.Bhavan, (Karagruh Karmachari Bhavan), Daulat Rao Jadhav Training Centre, Yerwada, Pune, MH on 24th April 2023. The Three reports published by DHRDNet are:
1. National Status Report on Monitoring the Prevention of Atrocities (PoA) Act, 1989,
2. Crimes in the Name of Honour- a National Shame
3. Monitoring Report on Implementing the SCs & STs (PoA) Act 1989 & Rules 1995 in Maharashtra.
The objectives of the release of the report Crimes in the Name of Honour and introducing the Honour Crime Bill are:
1. To create awareness and build perspectives on and around the issue of Honour Crimes through a National Level Campaign.
2. To introduce the honour crime bill, its significance, and its relevance so that it could be introduced in the MH Legislative Assembly.
The objectives of the other two reports on PoA (State and National) are:
1. To assess the implementation of the act in Maharastra.
2. To identify gaps and loopholes through our findings and advocate at the state, national and international levels.
3. To collaborate with like-minded CSOs in building awareness about this act and also do litigation at the state and national levels.
Approx 50 to 60 participants from various organizations, advocates, and Professors had participated. Mr. Bhanu Pratap representing DHRDnet welcomed the participants and briefed the objectives of the consultation.